Commemorated each year on August 12, International Youth Day brings attention to the international communities and celebrates the world’s youth and their potential to be partners in today’s society. International Youth Day was first proposed in 1991 and encourages youth to get involved in their communities to spread awareness. This year’s theme is Youth Engagement For Global Action and discussion topics include contemporary conflicts, humanitarian emergencies and global challenges.
We want to help encourage youth to get involved and help create a better future for the entire world. Think about doing the following:
- Organize a meeting to discuss young people’s contributions to global issues.
- Organize a concert to promote International Youth Day and the launch of the new school year.
- Organize a youth forum to exchange ideas and discuss cultural backgrounds.
- Create an “info point” about youth-related issues in the center of your town, at school or university centers.
- Visit the United Nations website for more ideas.
Today let’s celebrate young people and help them get involved and engage at the local, national and global levels. This year’s commemoration of International Youth Day will take the form of a podcast style discussion involving the selected theme on Wednesday, August 12 at 12:30PM.
Read more about International Youth Day 2020 here. You can also gather the family and watch the discussion below. And don’t forget to share with us the ways you got involved to support today’s youth!