Winter is almost here – which means it’s time for the winter preparations at your home. Here is a helpful list of winter prep tips so you can enjoy the cold weather without worry.
- Shut off your outdoor faucets and put your hoses away. Water expands as it freezes so you don’t want to have any damage from forgetting about this.
- Schedule a chimney cleaning. If you have a wood-burning fireplace and you don’t remember the last time you had it cleaned – now is the time to take care of this. The statistics on homes catching fire from un-cleaned fireplaces is high. Don’t delay and schedule it today! We can provide recommendations for a company if you need some help.
- Have carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home and inside every bedroom.
- Check windows and doors for drafts. If you feel cold air, you may want to do something to keep the cold air out to help on energy costs. You can re-seal the door and window frames, put insulating plastic on the windows, or install insulated curtains.
- Get ready for snow removal and have a shovel or snowblower and salt in advance. Once the first snowfall happens, the stores will be out of these items.
- If you haven’t done so recently, change that furnace filter! This will help you get better air quality and energy efficiency.
- Reverse your ceiling fans. This is an odd one, we know. If you have ceiling fans, reverse them the other direction to help the warm air flow better through your home.
- Double check tree branches near your home. If you have any tree limbs close to your home, trim them now before winter hits and a winter storm sends them into your home.
Ryan Reynolds Team, LLC : Unlimited Opportunities, Exceptional Experiences